"Unreturned Dosimeter Overcharges"

Dear Radsafers:

I've privately received more than a dozen responses regarding this subject
(originally posted last Friday).  Nearly all respondents conceded that they
have been experiencing the same problems (some vehemently so).  One vendor
in particular stands out, however, that vendor does not stand alone.

A number of the respondents indicated that the contractor's invoices went
directly to accounting - bypassing their (RSOS) scrutiny.  Last Friday's
post prompted them to evaluate the accuracy of past invoices, and they were
surprised at what they discovered.

Many of the respondents cited some pretty sophisticated excuses (on the part
of the contractors) that IMHO distill down to very poor accounting
practices.  There was only one negative response regarding the actual dose
measurement portion of these services.  The rest of the negative responses
can be summed up accounting and customer service related.

I'm not out on a witch hunt, but I am going to use the responses that I'm
receiving as "references" for evaluating future bids for services.  I will
make that information public to Radsafe subscribers (without implying
wrongdoing on the part of any vendor).  Just the facts!!!

I know that some of you may still be evaluating your dosimetry billing.  I
encourage you to contact me regarding what you discover - be it positive or
negative.  I need to hear both in order to maintain objectivity (like I
said, I'm not out to "get" anybody).  I intend also to engage the vendors
themselves in this discussion.

In closing, any suggestions (or criticism) of this endeavor is certainly
invited.

-Erick Lindstrom

 Erick Lindstrom
 Radiation Safety Officer