NORM REGS AND CRCPD

From:	IN%"oracle@ionet.net" 19-AUG-1996 20:00:49.41
To:	IN%"radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu"
CC:	IN%"gooden@VMS.OCOM.OKSTATE.EDU"
Subj:	NORM REGS AND CRCPD

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 17:45:10 -0700
From: "Dwight A. Vance, R.Ph." <oracle@ionet.net>
Subject: NORM REGS AND CRCPD
To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Cc: gooden@VMS.OCOM.OKSTATE.EDU

I attempted to post this to RadSafe on Monday.  My computer was down so I
used another station in the hospital.  I don't think the listserver
recognized the "signature" of the person who owns the computer I used.  I
don't think the message was posted.  Since I think the naturally occurring
radioactive material (NORM) issue is so important, I am posting it again.

David S. Gooden

-------------

          On Friday, August 16, Mr. Carey Johnston (US EPA Rad Prot
       Div), asked about reports and information on "Discrete NARM"
       (which Mr. Johnston properly pointed out includes NORM).  I do not
       have specific reports to recommend, but I hope Mr. Johnston will not
       mind if I use his inquiry to introduce an important subject to
       RADSAFE:  the regulation of NORM.

          Mr. Johnston used an "arbitrary definition" of discrete NARM
       [NORM] waste as those wastes having greater than 2 nanocuries per
       gram of Radium-226. This definition may work within the specific
       context of Friday's inquiry regarding "source capsules of
       decommissioned accelerators," but there are many areas where it
       does not work well.  In my experience, this would not be a good
       definition for those of us who work with state and federal agencies
       and industry in addressing technologically enhanced (TE) NORM
       waste streams resulting from many industrial activities.  These waste
       streams create "diffuse NORM," not discrete NORM.  Though most
       diffuse TE NORM in these streams is well below 2000 picocuries per
       gram, some may be at or above these levels.

          Properly addressing TE NORM ranks among our most
       important issues today.  We must address the health and safety
       needs of our people.  However, we must not unnecessarily burden
       our important industries unless there is an identifiable and
       corresponding health and safety benefit.  In our society, the well-
       being of our people depends on the well-being of our country's
       industries.

          In just a few weeks committees for the CRCPD will meet in an
       effort to forge a reasonable standard for the regulation of NORM
       (Part N).  Many important issues will be discussed.  Definitions will
       be included in the discussions.

          RadSafers may have input that could be important to the
       CRCPD process.  For example, what should be the limits for release
       of land impacted with TE NORM for unrestricted use.  Several oil
       producing states use a value of 30 picocuries per gram (0.000030
       microCi per gram) if there is a low radon emanation factor.  A
       common release limit for the release of equipment and pipe
       impacted with TE NORM is 50 microroentgens per hour (including
       background) in contact with any accessible point.  Should the
       CRCPD also consider a "tier" for restricted uses but not unrestricted
       use?  Such a tier might allow, for example, pipe that exceeded the
       level for unrestricted use to be released for uses as cattle guards,
       fence posts, and concrete reinforcement in places other than
       residences or public places.  What should be the limit for these
       restricted uses?

          Should the CRCPD pay attention to the recommendations of
       the ICRP and the NCRP regarding NORM?  The ICRP has
       emphasized adaptive approaches to remediation.  The ICRP refused
       to set a dose limit on remediation.  Instead they say, "The need for
       and the extent of remedial action has to be judged by comparing the
       benefit to the reduction in dose with the detriment of the remedial
       work, including that due to the doses incurred in the remedial work"
       (ICRP Publication 60 @ 51).

          Some may find the NCRP's position on this subject surprising,
       but I think reflection on the NCRP's position will show it to be well
       thought out.  The NCRP sets a remedial action level of 5 mSv/yr
       (500 mrem/yr) continuous exposure from TE NORM, excluding radon
       (NCRP Report 116 @ 50).

          What disposal methods should be allowed?  Is land farming,
       which is a viable option for the disposal of many petroleum waste
       products, proper for some NORM waste?  For example, on-site land
       farming may be an appropriate method of disposal if NORM levels
       are not too high.  The real and measurable dangers of death or
       injury due to the operation of heavy earth moving equipment and
       highway trucks could be avoided by allowing land farming in certain
       situations.

          Are some landfills appropriate for TE NORM disposal under
       certain situations?  The EPA has recommendations for addressing
       TE NORM in drinking water treatment waste that includes disposal
       in some Subtitle D waste facilities for levels up to 50 picocuries per
       gram.  Similar disposals may be appropriate for TE NORM
       generated by other industrial activities.

          All of these are significant questions.  The development of
       standard approaches to NORM regulation is an important activity.
       I hope those with thoughts on this matter will provide input.  Thank
       you for letting me use Mr. Johnston's inquiry to introduce this
       important issue to RadSafe.

       David S. Gooden
       Director, Biomedical Physics
       Saint Francis Hospital