Re: Nuclear Power In The Media

> From:          Ragreen1@aol.com
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

> In reference to the article from Fremont, OH. Just what should our opinions
> of the "reporter" and the editor of this jolly little "news"paper. The plant
> in the story is less than30 minutes drive from Fremont. To my knowledge
> neither the reporter or the editor has ever responded to offers of tours, nor
> did anyone check the "facts" of the story before printing.

	Reporters have been sensationalizing things radioactive for years.
	We still have buried here Chicago Tribune articles about the first
	use of Linear accelerators in the 50's at Michael Reese for cancer
	therapy. "Atomic Bullets Being Fired Against Cancer" read one
	headline. IMHO, an overly optimistic view is almost as bad as
	the gloom-and-doom one.

	I've met a few reporters who really could do a good job reporting
	on radiation,  but most do not. I don't think you can do anything
	to change the reporters, (they have to grind out copy,) but you
	can do something to teach the public to use a grain of salt, (well
	probably a whole shaker full,) when reading about radiation.

	When faced with trying to argue my case with a typical John Q.
	Public I say,  "Remember when Heraldo was convinced he was
	digging into Al Capone's secret room?"

	They remember that fiasco, and then I say, "Anybody from
	Chicago who is old enough realizes all he was opening up was
	an under-the-sidewalk coal bin."

Frank R. Borger - Physicist       ___      "Rain, sleet, snow, and dark of night
Michael Reese - U of Chicago   |___        don't bother us, but we have a lot
Center for Radiation Therapy   |   |_) _    of trouble with closets, basements,
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu    |  \  |_)  car trunks and viaducts."
ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-3697         |_)   - New Chicago Post Office Motto.