Re: Intermediate Level Waste

> Date:          Thu, 22 Aug 96 06:20:00 -0500
> From:          LIPTONW@detroitedison.com
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Re: Intermediate Level Waste

> --Boundary-2858477-0-0
>
> In the U.S., there is no "intermediate level waste" category.  There is:  (1)
> hi level waste - spent fuel and reprocessing products (if we ever reprocess),
> (2) transuranic waste, and (3) low level waste - everything else.  How do you
> define the intermediate category?
>
> Bill Lipton
> The opinions expressed are strictly mine.
>

> --Boundary-2858477-0-0
>
> Date: 21 Aug 96 18:44:34
> From:"radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu" <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> To: Multiple,recipients,of,list,radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> Subject: Intermediate Level Waste
>

> G'day radsafers
>
> A quick question seeking a quick answer;-
>
> What do YOU do with your intermediate-level waste and what is the ultimate fate
> of YOUR intermediate-level waste??
>
> Actually, that was two questions!!
>

> Regards
>
> Alex Zapantis
> Environmental Radiation Officer
> Office of the Supervising Scientist
> 40 Blackall Street
> Barton ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA
>
> Email: azapantis@dest.gov.au
> Phone: (int+) 61 6 274 1642
> Fax : (int+) 61 6 274 1519
>

> --Boundary-2858477-0-0--

Although there is no classification called intermediate waste, there
is a catagory which one might call intermediate, that is greater than
class C waste.  This catagory of waste can with the host state's
approval be disposed in a low-level waste facility, but otherwise is
the responsibility of DOE, and from what I understand currently may
wind up with high level waste.

               Russ Meyer
               Internet: cmeyer@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us
               tel: 512/834-6688