1997 HPS midyear meeting

A few people already answered a recent inquiry about the 1997 midyear HPS
meeting (Jan. 5-8, 1997, San Jose, CA, topic: "Health Physics of Radiation
Generating Machines"). I would like to provide some more information, in a
transparent attempt to attract more of you to the meeting.

There will be 87 (+-1) papers presented, the preliminary program will be
included in the September issue of the HPS Newsletter. Close to 20% of
the papers are from foreign participants (mostly Europe and Japan), giving
the meeting an international flavor. Here is a short outline of the
technical program:

MONDAY
8:00 - 9:00  OPENING SESSION
8:00 - 8:30  Opening talks
8:30 - 9:00  Swanson Memorial Lecture (Ralph Thomas)
9:00 - 10:00 SESSION 1: SAFETY SYSTEMS
10:30 - 12:00 SESSION 2: OPERATIONAL ISSUES
1:30 - 2:45  SESSION 3: INSTRUMENTATION AND DOSIMETRY
2:45 - 5:00 POSTER SESSION I
5:15 - 6:30 PANEL DISCUSSION (Wade Patterson)

TUESDAY
8:00 - 11:00  SESSION 4: SHIELDING
11:00 - 2:15 SESSION 5: ACCELERATORS AND NEW PROJECTS
2:15 - 2:45  SESSION 6: MATERIAL ACTIVATION
2:45 - 5:00 POSTER SESSION II

WEDNESDAY
8:00 - 8:30   SESSION 6: MATERIAL ACTIVATION (continued from Tuesday)
8:30 - 10:00  SESSION 7: MEDICAL AND X-RAY MACHINES I
10:30 - 12:00 SESSION 8: MEDICAL AND X-RAY MACHINES II
1:30 - 2:45  SESSION 9: CALIBRATION FACILITIES
2:45 - 5:00 POSTER SESSION II

The mid-morning, lunch and mid-afternoon breaks are not indicated. Some
sessions are interupted and continue after the break. Each poster session
starts with short oral introductions (3 min per poster).

In addition of the "regular" program above, we will reserve an area for
posting "Work in progress", using half size posters (4x4 ft). Space will
be available on a first-come-first-serve basis. If you are interested in
presenting a mini-poster, please send me e-mail at the address
below. However, "work in progress" papers will not be included in the
Proceedings.

Some of you might remember the very successful 1987 meeting in Reno on
the very same topic. We intend to start a tradition of having this topic
every 10 years.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions regarding the
technical program. As previously posted, info on attractions of the
Silicon Valey and other useful references can be found on the Local
Arrangement Committee Home Page:

              http://ehssun.lbl.gov/hphysics/midyear.htm

If the Farmont Hotel is beyond your budget, Local Arrangement Committee
chair Norm McElroy (415-725-1407) can point you to cheaper hotels nearby
and provide other local info.
See you all in San Jose next January!

--
Vashek Vylet, co-chair, '97 Midyear Program Committee
Radiation Physics, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center