Re: "CONTAMINATED" SHIPMENTS

Our office does not (now) open packages but instead allows the individual labs
to do that.  We get about 4000 items/year for research and our hospital gets
about another 1000 items.  I do not believe that we have received any
package in the last three years which was externally contaminated - except
for one medical isotope package.  Some of our researchers have noticed
contamination on inners packages from a few inner packages of S-35 from a California vendor.  We
reported this to the vendor - a couple of times - and the problem seems to
have been solved.  We advise labs to always presume that the inner package
might be contaminated & should be handled with gloves.   always be handled with gloves.

Don Jordan                          Tel. (312) 702-6299
Office of Radiation Safety          Fax        702-4008
The University of Chicago           email: don@radpro.uchicago.edu
1101 East 57th Street, Room 11
Chicago, Illinois  60637
                -- Any opinions are the author's --