Re: Minimum Detectable Activity

Horacio:

You can refere to NCRP 58, and ANSI N13.30 for derivation, also if you can get
a copy of NBS SP456, "the minimum detectable activity concept" would be very
usefull. If you need a copy let me know.

At 02:45 PM 8/22/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello fellow RADSEFERS,
>
>I came across an equation for calculating MDA based on statistical
>analysis that states MDA = (4.65 x N^0.5 + 3) / ET where N is the number
>of counts for the background in time T and E is the sensitivity of the
>detector in cps/unit activity. Our specific problem regards leak testing
>of selaed sources and this equation is suggested by the AECB (CANADA).
>
>I understand how the MDA is based on a given confidence level assuming
>Poisson statistics but cant seem to see (or find) a good derivation of
>this equation.  Cember (1996) presents this equation without a thorough
>derivation.
>
>Please let me know if there is a better reference.
>

>Horacio J. Patrocinio
>Hotel-Dieu de Montreal Hospital
>Montreal, Canada

Mr. Rahim Ghanooni
Sr. Health Physicist
Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM)
319-851-7133
rahim@inav.net

My opinion only.