professional Liability Insur.-Summary

Radsafers'

I had posted my inquiry on Professional liability to the safety list
also, so I thought I'd summarize the replies.

I basically got three types of replies:

1. Some of the safety people (primarily rad types) are indemnified
under American Nuclear  Insurer’s provisions while others who work in
government facilities are indemnified through the government contract.

2. One of the replies indicated that he has a clause inserted in the
contract where as an independent consultant he works through the
contracting organizations peer review and quality control process,
thereby exempting him from all but normal industrial liability
requirements. He then went on to add the caveat “ I  just have to be
careful that everything I propose/do has the official blessing of the
contracting organization, i.e. I recommend and the organization
approves and implements.”

3. One can get liability insurance through the ASSE; the following is
the most thorough of the replies I received:

One source for Professional Liability Coverage for Safety Engineers and
Industrial Hygienists is :
Complete Equity Markets, Inc.
1098 South Milwaukee Ave., Suite 200
Wheeling, IL 60090-6398
800-323-6234
847-541-0900

The quote I have is for American Society of Safety Engineer members,
The minimum premium is $750 + $100 svc charge + $18 tax =
$868  for $100,000 with a $1000 deductible. Various levels of coverage
are available, up to $1,000,000, with various deductibles, $1,000;
$2,500;$5,000; $7,500.

I was quoted $1,000,000/$1,000,000 with a $7,500 deductible for $1,367.

Quotes depend on amount and type of work.

I want to thank everyone who replied. If anyone has more information or
wants to add to above send me a line (pcollopy@ix.netcom.com) and I’ll
update the summary to send to interested parties.

Pete C.

Below is a summary of questions I put to a friend of mine who used to
work for ANI. He was gracious enough to clarify some questions I had
regarding those "radiation exclusion" clauses the insurance companies
always put in their policies. Kind of indirectly related to liability
so I thought you might be interested.

1. ANI insureds are all power plants and most all other
non-government reactors such as universities and research.
Those categories are required by regulations to meet the
financial liability requirements of the Price-Anderson Act - 10
CFR 140. They can either self-insure or buy the ANI policy.
Typically, the ANI policy is cheaper and easier. Fuel fabs are
also in that group.

2. ANI also insures: transporters, laundries, some
manufacturers and suppliers, radwaste brokers and burial sites
(Barnwell, USEcology at Hanford and Beatty), waste processors
like SEG and RSO. These entities may or may not be able to buy
conventional liability insurance. But for them, ANI is likely
the cheapest and most comprehensive policy for them.

3. Government indemnified operations are not insured by ANI.
Nor are DOE facilities.

4. Only by-product material related operations are insured.
Therefore, accelerator produced and enhanced natural material
is excluded.

I guess the best way to find out is to flat out ask the entity
who they have for a nuclear liability insurer. If they have
ANI, then you have very good professional liability coverage
already. If it is not ANI, then you need to find out a bit more
about the policy that they have and such like that
--
ÐÏࡱ