Subject: Re: Exempt Smoke Detectors
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet
Date:    8/22/96 10:19 AM

cc: tarzijp@naesco.com

Jay,

The answer is easy: You need to obtain a Specific License that authorizes
cleaning and maintenance of smoke detectors.  The authorization should
specify that the detectors be returned to the exempt user (e.g., itself).

Wes

radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "James P. Tarzia" <tarzijp@naesco.com>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Exempt Smoke Detectors

>      Does anyone know an answer to the following question?
>
>      If a broad-scope licensee performs maintenance (i.e. cleaning) on an
>      exempt smoke detector containing Am-241, is the detector still
>      considered exempt from licensing?  We know that the NRC's position is
>      that exempt detectors may be disposed of in ordinary trash, however,
>      we are not sure whether the exemption is voided if they are opened by
>      a licensee other than the manufacturer licensed to distribute the
>      smoke detectors as exempt.
>
>      We have many smoke detectors (2 mCi Am-241) that we routinely return
>      to the manufacturer for cleaning.  The manufacturer will not be
>      performing this function in the future.  We would like to perform this
>      cleaning, however, we are not sure whether these should be treated as
>      licensed material (under our broadscope) or exempt. We have spent much
>      time reviewing 10CFR30 and NRC positions as well as discussing this
>      issue with other HPs/licensees and have not been able to get a
>      definitive answer.
>
>      Please respond to me at:
>

>      Jay Tarzia, CHP
>      Seabrook Station
>
>      tarzijp@naesco.com
>      603-474-9521 Ext 3868
>
>      I will be more than glad to share the results with the radsafe
>      subscribers if anyone is interested.

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us