Re: coordination with NRC - opinion

     On Monday 26 Aug 96, slaback @micf.nist.gov, indicated that there may
     be a regulatory void between non-power licensees and the NRC (or other
     regulatory agency).  It was suggested that individual licensees form
     groups to fill the void and have more positive control over the
     influences outside their individual organizations.

     Groups like this do exist and I can attest to the value derrived as a
     member of The Ohio Radioactive Materials Users Group (ORMUG).  ORMUG
     is an organization of NRC licensees, state registrants, and NORM users
     primarily from Ohio and other Midwest Compact states.  Our membership
     comes from universities, nuclear power plants, hospitals,
     manufacturers, consultants, and R&D facilities and not all members are
     HP's.

     While we are primarily a technical group, we have had serious
     participation in regulatory/political issues such as BRC, Low-level
     Waste legislation, rule review committees, and Federal Register
     proposed rule-making comments.  We also sponsor a one-day seminar
     every fall (Nov. 6 this year) which brings together regulators and
     licensees for presentations that culminate in a round-table discussion
     with audience participation.

     Keep in mind, however, that ORMUG has been "in business" since 1983
     and the development of a group like this is difficult.  There are
     other similar organizations in the country such as CALRAD Forum and
     ACURI.  If individual licensees are interested in gaining the benefits
     of an organization without going to the trouble of starting their own,
     I reccommend contacting one of these groups.  I can provide contact
     information to interested parties. Please e-mail me directly, not
     radsafe!

     Tim Walker

     walkert@battelle.org

     All Standard Disclaimers Apply