Nuclear Power

G'day radsafers

I have some questions regarding Nuclear Power. I am not a Nuke Eng, nor have I
ever even seen a nuclear reactor so please bear with my presumably obvious
ignorance of this area.

Please comment/correct my statements below;

1. Fast breeder reactors use a mixture of Pu239 and U238 as fuel. U238 atoms
capture neutrons to become U239, then decay via beta emission to form Np239,
then via beta emission again to form Pu239 (very quickly I assume). The Pu239
atom thus formed can then also undergo fission induced by fast neutrons. Fast
breeder reactors do not use any moderator

2. Fast breeder reactors require a much higher flux of neutrons in the core (10
times, 100 times??) to sustain the chain reaction than "thermal reactors" and
thus must be much more compact.

Questions;
1. What kind of coolant to FBR use?

2. Are any FBRs currently commercially supplying electricity.

Any other pearls of wisdom on FBR will be appreciated.

Regards
**********************************
        Alex Zapantis
        Environmental Radiation Officer
        Office of the Supervising Scientist
        40 Blackall Street
        Barton ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA

        Email: azapantis@dest.gov.au
        Phone: (int+) 61 6 274 1642
        Fax : (int+) 61 6 274 1519

The Office of the Supervising Scientist is
		a Branch of the Federal Environment
							Protection Agency