Re: Nuclear Power

At 01:11 29/08/96 -0500, Alex  wrote:
>Questions;
>1. What kind of coolant to FBR use?

Usually the coolant is normally a mixture of sodium and pottasium.  There
are two sodium circuits in series followed by a steam circuit which is used
to drive the turbines.

>2. Are any FBRs currently commercially supplying electricity.

Certainly there are none in the UK, after the closure if PFR in 1994.  Prior
to 1994 PFR (Prototype Fast Reactor) had been supplying the UK grid with
power for 20-odd years when it was operational.

Monju, in Japan, is closed down pending a safety review following the
uncovering of a cover-up of a leak in one of the sodium circuits.

I think that the French FBR, Super Pheonix, has been given the OK by the
French authorities to go back to power but only to burn plutonium.

I am not aware of the current status of FBRs in the US or Eastern bloc
countries.

David I Hambley
Senior Safety Engineer, Nuclear Safety Unit
Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
Private Mailbag 1, Menai, NSW 2234
Australia
e-mail: d.hambley@ansto.gov.au
Tel:   (02) 717 3236