Re: Dispersal of Spent Fuel -Reply

Not being a commercial nuke HP, I am relatively inexperienced about fuel
"ponds" so bear with me.  Please send any comments to me.  Make them NICE
comments since I am such a sensitive guy....guess I won't be hearing from
Mr. Schoenhofer....

OK, follow my "logic", keep a sense of humor...this IS supposed to be an
educational media....

Spent fuel rods are kept in pools to cool them down after refueling,
correct?  As I understand it, if the cooling water gets too cold, it can
become a very effective moderator and criticality can occur, correct?
(Hence, the criticality alarms in the plant..) Now, one of the beauties
of water and why it is such a good moderator is that it can somewhat
control itself.  As more fissions occur during the criticality, more heat
is released and the density of the water drops.  The conditions which
allowed this undesired criticality are now corrected since water
temperature is raised above the point of concern.  I understand the
radiation hazard involved but not the explosive hazard.  A prompt
criticality hazard created from a large addition of positive reactivity
such as that delivered to the SL-1 reactor can cause the water to flash
to steam and result in a steam explosion.  Unless the fuel rods in the
pool are stored too close together and the mean free path of the neutrons
from one cell reach another cell, how can an explosion occur in a spent
fuel pool?  Also, someone mentioned gasses which are released which could
create an explosion hazard.  What are these gases, hydrogen?

My hat's off to you plant hp's is all this is true!!  Do you all collect
hazardous duty pay??
--
John J. Sadler
Medical Physics