Re: "Dino-radiation?"

Recently we received on loan some fossil bones which are suspected of
containing high levelsa of naturally occurring radioactivity for
nondestructive radioassay, which hopefully will be completed within a short
time.  But, the detection of fossilized bones with sensitive instrumentation
in the field is apparently not unusual.  The mechanism seems to be that the
Haversian canals of the bone serve to carry various minerals in  solution
which replace some of the natural matrix (ie calcium) of the bone.  Recall
that radium is a calcium analog.  In any event, one such study of
radioactivity, albeit crude and primitive, done in the early 1950's showed
fossil bones with higer than 'background' levels of activity (cf. Smith and
Bradley, Radioactive Fossil Bones in Teton County, Wyoming, Geological
Survey of Wyoming Report of Investigations 4, 1954).

Hope this helps.

Ron Kathren
Professor, Washington State University