Re: XRDs and interlocks

Melissa,

Our Siemans equipment has similar capabilities.  I have also received a
Phillips unit with a similar override.

Phillips was explicit in its technical materials that the override key was to
be turned over to the radiation safety professionals.  Sieman's was not so
explicit, but that is what we did.

I think I would "politely demand" that the key be turned over to radiation
safety before I permitted operation.  There is no reason that the researcher
needs such a key to the equipment.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne Division; Rockwell Aerospace