XRDs and interlocks

On Thu, 29 Aug 96 10:48:33 -0500, Michael P. Grissom wrote:

>Earlier postings on
>RADSAFE noted that real problems occurred due to home made XDR
>systems that had sample chamber doors rigged to defeat the
>interlocks!  In those cases, the environment becomes photon
>rich (but still a very limited angle beam).

What's worse is that I've noticed on two XRDs that were purchased from Siemens
within the last year, there is a key lock right on the operator's console for
defeating the interlocks!!!  Are other manufacturers doing this, or is it just
Siemens?

(Melissa to researcher who installed the two Siemens units, "You are going to
remove those keys and put them in a location inaccessible and unknown to anyone
but yourself... NOW."  :-) )

--
 Melissa Woo, Health Physicist                       | m-woo@uiuc.edu
 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign          | office 1.217.244.7233