Re: Safety of Am-241 Smoke Detectors

In Message Wed, 4 Sep 96 15:06:05 -0500,
  Rahim Ghanooni <rahim@inav.net> writes:

>Michael:
>
>For your information the new "lantern mantles" are not "radioactive" anymore
>, and it does not last as long as the old ones, of course.

Depends on who makes them and where you buy them.  Coleman brand mantles are
not radioactive and (my opinion only) not worth buying.  However, some
brands (mainly Asian in origin) still contain thorium and, therefore, work
as lantern mantles rather than politically correct statements of corporate
public relations.
William G. Nabor
University of California, Irvine
EH&S Office