Tumour in oilfield engineer

The following is posted to RadSafe at the request of Chris Martin.

>From: CJMARTIN@PHS.Med.UAlberta.CA
>Date:          Thu, 5 Sep 1996 11:08:34 MDT
>Subject:       Re: Tumour in oilfield engineer
>    I just want to clear up two areas of confusion regarding my
>earlier post.

>    Firstly, my posting was initially to an Occupational Medicine list
>which Dr. Louis Iselin very kindly has crossposted to your list.
>Therefore, the comments in the post are mine not his.  Also, since I
>do not subscribe to this list, please cc: your replies to my email
>address so Louis doesn't have to keep forwarding them.

>    Secondly, I am physician.  A standard part of my work is the
>occupational history.  The extent to which a toxin
>poses a hazard to human health is a function not only
>of its inherent toxicity but the amount to which a worker may have
>been exposed.  Therefore, in addition to describing the radioisotopes
>this worker was exposed to, part of my occupational history on this
>unfortunate man must include a description of his and his coworkers
>work practices.  I presented it as it was described to me by the
>patient.  The word "cavalier" was his, not mine.

>    The conclusion one might draw is that, given the work practices
>described, this man had a significant exposure to various
>radioisotopes.  Whether or not they caused his malignancy is another
>matter and is the whole reason for my post!

>    I am sorry if some of you felt I was making a generalization about
>the industry as a whole with a "note of condemnation".  I fail to see
>how I made such a generalization which I think we all feel is
>unjustified.  I described the practices of one group of workers, in
>one place at one time as they were related to me by one
>very biased individual. I was, until recently, otherwise entirely
>ignorant of this profession.  Of course, it is those particular work
>practices that we all condemn.

>    I am grateful for the comments of those who
>replied since they describe (and contrast) other work experiences in
>the same industry to give a sense of balance for the readers.
>Furthermore, as a layman, they have provided me with further insight
>into this fascinating job.  I simply want to clarify what I did and
>did not say.

>Christopher Martin
>Resident,
>Occupational Health Program
>University of Alberta
>Edmonton, Alberta

Louis H. Iselin, Ph.D.           * Go Gators! *                   <*>
Assistant Professor of Physics (Health Physics Program)
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
Bloomsburg PA  17815-1399                          liselin@bloomu.edu