Am-241 smoke detectors

I have a question directed at my DOE coworkers.  The nominal activity of the
Am-241 in the smoke detectors is about 1 micro-curie, the accountable
quantity in DOE is .003 micro-curie.  Does anyone out there track the
sources in their smoke detectors?  I know we don't, and we are starting to
find these things in the trash.  While a member of the general public can
probably do this, does this violate our regulations?  It seems a waste of
tax payers dollars to pay for the disposal of theses sources simply because
of who we are.  At the same time I feel a responsibilty to minimize the
amount of rad material being sent "out the door".  Any thoughts?  I've
raised the issue of starting a recycling program to get the sources back to
the manufactures but as with all things governmental it will take a while to
get resolution.

Kim Merritt. RRPT
kdmerri@sandia.gov

The opinions expressed do not represent the DOE, Sandia Labs or my employer,
blah, blah, blah