Re: Sealed Sources

The major problem I have seen with well logging operations is directly
proportional to the size of the operation Schlumberger, Halliburton,
Western Atlas, etc. seem to have few problems since they are large well
managed organizations.  The problems seem to occur amongst the smaller
operators who potentially have inadequate training and or funding.

Current state and federal regulators of these operations are hard
pressed to do any sort of monitoring.  The smaller operators have been
hard hit by the down turn in the oil drilling business and the older
operators are retiring.  Disposal costs are very high since only very
limited quantities of TRU material can be disposed of as LLW. As a
consequence, many wire line operators are going bankrupt and the NRC is
having to co-ordinate disposal of intact and leaking sources through
the DOE.  It seems to me that this is a major, commercial, Rad Waste
disposal problem that is only slowly being addressed by our Federal
government.

The current plan is that eventually DOE will be requested (by NRC) to
take many neutron sources, and deactivate/consolidate then into a waste
form that will eventually be disposed of as TRU waste.  Until this
program is fully implemented/funded only emergencies are being deal
handled.