Re: Comments on Nuclear Energy

>      3. No satisfactory method has been found to guarantee safe
>      operation of nuclear power plants in the event of employee
>      negligence or sabotage.
>
>      Yes it has, because the laws of physics guarantee that core
>      cannot blow up like an atomic bomb regardless of employee
>      negligence or sabotage.
>
>      No it hasn't, because employee or sabotage may result in a
>      theoretical person, dog or tree receiving one-tenth of one
>      millirem from the plant.

I disagree with the statement that an employee can NOT cause a
measurable release of radioactive materials or exposure off-site that
can not exceed 0.1 mrem. The fact that limits exist which allow how
much gaseous or liquid material can be released (amount and rate) to
ensure that Tech Specs and Appendix I limits are not exceeded is one
example that IF someone wanted to dump the gaseous hold-up tanks, a
measurable dose would be had. Let me state that it would be difficult
for certain forms of sabotage to cause a serious off-site release,
since other individuals would be made aware of the situation. On the
other hand, there are certain actions that can be taken whereby the
release would occur prior to others intervening. This is not a forum
to discuss all of those opportunities.

Sandy Perle
E-mail: sandyfl@ix.netcom.com

Homepages: