Re: Smearing sources

Good Morning,

    As mentioned by another, check your license for any requirements.

    Wet smear testing is mentioned as a "prototype test" for Am-241 calibration
sources in 10 CFR 35.102(c).  This citation, however, is only applicable for
quality assurance by a source manufacturer; I don't think it is an enforceable
requirement for end users of the sources, although users will sometimes
incorporate the technique into their leak testing programs.

    Several ANSI standards dealing with specifications for sealed sources
(again manufacturing criteria) also discuss a wet wipe test.  Again, I don't
think these are "enforceable" on end users.  I don't have specific citations at
hand, but they should be listed in an ANSI index.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne Division; Rockwell Aerospace