Re: Smearing sources

just an aside:  I had to leak test our start up sources.  These are Sb-124
sources, which are placed in Be holders to create photoneutrons.  They arrived
in a cask designed to be unloaded underwater.  The dose rates did not allow
removing the sources in air; except for a remote handling facility, which we
do not have.  To leak test the sources, we filled the cask with clean water.
We then drained some of the water and counted it for Sb-124.

Bill Lipton

Radsafers:

Prof.Cember, on page 394 of "Introduction to Health Physics", 2nd ed.,
says, "to test for surface contamination, wipe all exposed external
surfaces of the source thoroughly with a piece of filter paper or a
cotton swab moistened with an appropriate solvent, then measure the the
activity on the paper of the swab."
Thus, there seems to be no technical justification for a "dry" smear
test.
Wade Patterson