Re: Dose to the eyes

At 02:13 PM 9/16/96 -0500, you wrote:

>RADSAFE GROUP:
>
>I am interested in finding methods for calculating the dose delivered to the
>eyes of a person by a known amount of a beta-gamma contaminated liquid
>source which is accidentally splashed or sprayed into a person's eyes.
>The are numerous resources available to estimate doses due to skin
>contamination, but this does not seem to be the case for eye contamination.
>
>Thank you for your time in the consideration of my question.
>
>Rene Michel, Health Physicist
>Iowa State University
>
>Rene, what you are interested in is dose to the lens of the eye which is
the dose equivalent at a depth of 300 mg/cm-3.  At this depth most of the
beta is absorbed by surface tissue and you are left with almost exclusively
the gamma dose.  In the skin dose calculations the opposite is true- the
majority of the dose is due to beta radiation at 7mg/cm-3.

Oyster Creek performed an eye dose calculation under my tenure as RPM in the
early 1980's that was reviewed and approved by the NRC which they would
probably sanitize of names and share with you upon request.

Doug Turner <turners@earthlink.net>