Subject: A Comment re: "Senior" HP Personnel
Author:  David Scherer <scherer@uiuc.edu> at INTERNET
Date:    9/16/96 3:31 PM

Jim,

Do you think the population attending the annual meeting is representative
of the population of HPs at large?  I would sugest that senior HPs are
overrepresented at the meeting because (1) they are often in higher
administrative positions and (2) have fewer obstacle to this kind of travel
(time, children, etc.).  They comprise a large fraction of meeting
attenders, but a small fraction of the total HP population.  So even if they
all retired tomorrow, the effect on the HP job market would be small.

If there are 1,000 senior HPs and 500 attend the meeting, they are an
enormous fraction of those attending the meeting, maybe 1/3.  But they are
only about 6 percent (1,000 out of 15K-20K) of all HPs.  Also, many of our
elderly collegues are semi-retired and "dabble" as consultants.  There are
perhaps 750 FTEs occupied by those over retirement age.  Please be assured
that there are more than 750 open positions right now, even if they don't
show up in the HPS Newsletter.  And what would be the solution for next
year's new grads?  So if the older folks moved out of the way, it would
barely dent the problem.

BTW, I'm not in this group; I'm under 40 but would be happy to be retired
anyway.

Dave
scherer@uiuc.edu