Re: Trintiy Site as Positive PR?? -Reply

Dan, I've never ben to the Trinity site, but I support their PR effort whole
heartedly. To try and "divorce" peaceful uses of radiation from weapons
history is fruitless.  I participated in the TMI-2 defueling and clean up
effort, and much of the industry resisted some of the technology development
and lessons on claims avoidance because they didn't want to be associated
with " the worst commercial nuclear reactor accident in US history".

As if the commercial nuclear industry has done such a wonderful job of
educating the public that the benefits of nuclear power and the inherent
safety are accepted so well by the general public today.  My previous
employer shut down the visitors center (which was located in portable
trailers).  Of course many of the utilities don't want to compare the
effluents from nuclear power to coal or gas because they also own those
polluting sources of electrical generation.

I think it is ironic that our radiation exposure limits are based almost
exclusively on Japanese bomb survivor dose reconstruction, and probably the
most publicity nuclear has recieved in decades came from the revision of
BEIER-V which governments used to lower dose limits.  I'm afraid the
commercial industry is already intimately associated with weapons and some
great public television series like the "New Yankee Radiation Worker" with a
credible spokes person will be a lot more positive than disassociation.
Ignorance has always spawned fear.

Doug Turner <turners@earthlink.net>