Radiopharmaceutical Uptake in Semen

G'day all,

I have an odd question maybe someone can help out with.

We have had a patient who wished to place a sperm sample in storage
for future use prior to undergoing chemotherapy. He had had a gallium
scan at some (unknown) stage prior to the sample being collected.

It was later noticed that the sample was emitting radiation "at a
rate of 10,000cpm". Because the sample (now stored in liquid
nitrogen) is obviously valuable to the donor, I am unlikely to be
able to go much further into this particular case. The IVF
group would however like a comment on potential gamete damage.

Does anyone have any knowledge of seminal fluid/sperm uptake of
radionuclides used in nuclear medicine? This would include
radiopharmaceuticals used in bone, gated heart, thallium etc.
studies.

To avoid clogging up the system, you could reply directly to me at :

nlco@imag.wh.su.edu.au

Many thanks

Lee Collins

Lee Collins