Re: Need for whole body film badges ?

A question directed particularly toward University RSO's, but along the same
lines as below.  What is your dosimetry policy regarding providing
individual whole-body dosimeters for researchers who operate only x-ray
diffraction units?  Given the extremely collimated, highly directional,
small cross sectional area of the x-ray beam, does hanging a whole-body
dosimetry on an x-ray diffraction unit operator provide any useful
information?  REGARDS

>	For those involved in University type settings involving solution
>chemistry with isotopes - Do you provide whole body badges for personnel
>in the lab using P-32 ?  Our department is looking into whether or not
>these badges are needed.  TLDs worn on the finger are required at our
>facility and occasionally return results in the range of 250 - 450 mrem in
>a 30 day period.  Off the top of our heads we question the need for whole
>body film badges.  Thank you for your help and comments.
>

>steve at UMCP

David W. Lee
Radiation Protection Policy
& Programs Analysis Group (ESH-12)