Re: Status of ANSI N13.12 (1987)

As one who was on the ORIGINAL drafting committee, ably chaired by JACK
SHAPIRO of Harvard, I offer the following politically incorrect comment:
Yes, there has been too much politics, and too little technically based
health physics.  We drafted the original standard years ago and it was
issued in August 1978 for trial use and comment after many years of
wrangling and political infighting, the brunt of which was borne by our
chairman Jack Shapiro.    In that original version, the limits for group 4
materials (see attached) were 1000 dpm/100 square cm removable, and 5000
fixed. The levels were risk based, as discussed in Appendix B of the
original standard. Obviously, there have been some changes over the years.
As one of the original committee members who has been excluded from the
revision process, it sure would be nice to know what the new committee has
come up with.

Ron Kathren