Re: Answers to Electronic Dosimetry Operability Checks

     Jamie

     As a power reactor user of EPDs, the alarm response check is a very
     important feature to me.  Our operating license contains requriements
     for entering high radiation areas and provides several options.  One
     of the options is the use of what we call the EPD (terminology has
     changed over the years).  The key feature is the alarming aspect of
     the dosimter.  I would find it as difficult to justify not checking
     out the alarm function of an EPD when it is issued to the worker as I
     would in not performing a source check of a survey instrument prior to
     performing a survey.

     Our experience has shown that there are a very small number of
     failures in the alarm check when looking at the big picture.  In 1995
     we had actual 41 actual alarm check failures and so far in 1996 we
     have had 16. We have had some pseudo-failures which involved the
     worker not inserting the dosimeter in the reader properly.  In putting
     these in perspective, we have 1000 EPDs in service and there have been
     over 250,000 uses of the EPDs this year. While the number of failures
     is small when compared to the overall useage, they are real and can be
     detected prior to issue.

     We have been using the MG equipment since 1989 and have used both the
     DMC-90 and DMC-100 model dosimeters.

     My apologies for not answering your request, but I totally missed it.
     If you want to discuss this further, give me a call at (561) 467-7302.

     Hayden 'Doc' Mercer
     FPL - St. Lucie Plant
     dmercer@email.fpl.com
     normal disclaimers apply - whaterver that really means.