Meeting: Health Effects of Low Dose Radiation

MEETING  ANNOUNCEMENT

Third International Conference on
Health Effects of Low Dose Radiation:
Challenges for the 21st Century

11-14 May 1997
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK

Organised by the
British Nuclear Energy Society
One Great George Street
London SW1P 3AA, UK

Co-sponsored by the
European Nuclear Society
The Society for Radiological Protection
Radiation Protection Research Unit of the Commission of the European
Communities

AIM OF THE CONFERENCE

This meeting takes place in the wake of a number of conferences
reviewing the history of radiation and its utilisation in the past
century.  Its aim is to examine the current state of our knowledge
about the health effects of radiation and to look forward
 to the developments in our understanding of the magnitude of the
 risks, the mechanisms and the social questions as the 21st century
 approaches.

Has epidemiology reached the limits of its usefulness?  Are the major
international studies of nuclear workforces currently under way likely
to advance knowledge any further than the studies of the atomic bomb
survivors?  Will studies of the populations l iving in the vicinity of
Chernobyl increase our knowledge of the effects of radiation or will
they tell us more about how not to cope with major man-made disasters?

Questions of moral as well as scientific interest are raised by the
possibility that cellular techniques are on the verge of exploitation
which may enable the identification of cancer-prone subgroups in the
population.  Also, will molecular techniques ever enable us to
identify the 'fingerprint' of radiation (or indeed of any other
physical agent) so that cancers can be assigned causes unequivocally?

An area where epidemiological results are equivocal and mechanisms
remain speculative concerns the possible health effects of
non-ionising radiation.  This is a matter of increasing public concern
and may be a major issue as we enter the 21st century.  The meeting
will look forward to resolution of the uncertainties and utilisation
of our growing knowledge of the health effects of radiation in the
management of risk.

TOPICS

Epidemiology (Ionising and non-Ionising Radiation)
* Studies of workers and their children
* Medically exposed populations
* Radon and other natural background exposures
* Health effects of Chernobyl
* General population studies

Biology
* Mechanisms underlying radiation carciogenesis
* Radiation sesitivity
* Induced genomic instability
* Cell transformation
* Animal studies
* Modifiers of the radiation response
* Adaptive response
* Synergy with chemicals and other physical agents

Risk Estimation
* Dose and dose-rate
* Effects of radiation quality
* Biophysical modelling

PUBLICATIONS

Copies of extended abstracts will be made available to all delegates
at the time of the meeting. Conference Proceedings will be published
as soon as possible after the event. Full manuscripts will be required
at least one month before the meeting to permi t refereeing. Amended
manuscripts may be brought to the conference. Authors not complying
with these requirements will not be permitted either to present their
paper or to have their paper published.

FURTHER INFORMATION

If you wish to be placed on the priority mailing list and receive
further information when available, please complete the form below and
return it to:

Rachel Coninx, Conference Executive, BNES, One Great George Street,
London SW1P 3AA, UK. FAX: +44 (0)171 233 1743

Please tick as appropriate
o  Please send me a programme when         available
o  I wish to submit a paper and attach eight copies of my 500 word
synopsis		 o I am interested in exhibition space at the
conference

Please PRINT or type

Surname

First name

Organisation

Address

Postcode

Country

Tel No

Fax No

ORGANISING COMMITTEE

Dr G A Harte, Nuclear Electric plc (Chairman)
Professor R A Cartwright, Leukemia Research Fund
Dr K H Chadwick, CEC Directorate general XII (Science Research and
Developmetn) Dr M W Charles, University of Birmingham Miss F A Fry,
National Radiological Protection Board Dr D T Goodhead, Radiation and
Genome Stability unit, Harwell Dr B Wade, BNES

Corresponding Members
Mr L Baekelandt, Belgian Nuclear Society
Prof T Rytomaa, Finnish Nuclear Society
Prof Dr K Becker, German Nuclear Society
Prof T Schlesinger, Israel Nuclear Society
Dr A S Keveling Buisman, Netherlands Nuclear Society
Dr A Stavrov, Nuclear Society, Moscow
M P Gourmelon, SFEN
Dr Evelyn Sokolowski, Swedish Nuclear Society
Dr Iliya Plecas, Yugoslav Nuclear Society

ADMINISTRATION DETAILS

Date and Venue
The conference will be held on 11-14 May 1997 at the Moat House
International Hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon, a town famous as the
birthplace of the playwright William Shakespeare.  The hotel stands
amidst five acres of gardens, on the banks of the River Av on.  It is
situated opposite the Royal Shakespeare Company's theatre and is
within easy walking distance of the historic town centre.  The
surrounding countryside is amongst the most beautiful in England and
has many cultural and historical areas of inte

Exhibition
It is planned to hold an exhibition in conjunction with the conference
to provide companies with an opportunity to display information on
relevant products and services.  If you are interested in exhibiting
and would like to receive further information in
 due course, please complete the appropriate section of the reply
 form.

Social Programme
A Welcome Reception and Conference Dinner will be held for all
delegates.

Accompanying Guests
There will be no formal partners' programme, but information from the
local Tourist Information Centre will be made available.

Dr Monty Charles, Reader in Radiation Physics
School of Physics & Space Research
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT