Subject: Source of Avogadro's number
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at FE-INTERNET
Date:    9/27/96 10:52 AM

Although this thread is getting quite old, I would like to know what the
SOURCE of Avogadro's number is.  For instance, the second is defined as a
certain number of oscillations (disintegrations?) of something - I forget
what - and the  meter is defined as length of - - well, I've forgotten that,
too.

So what defines the number of atoms in a mole?  Convention?  A physical
measurement?

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Accelerator Division, M.S. 12A1
12000 Jefferson Avenue