Re: Re[2]: Answers to Electronic Dosimetry Operability Checks

At 09:45 PM 9/25/96 -0500, Paul Knoll wrote:
>     Radsafers, be warned.  Obviously you would never make the mistake we
>     did.  But over time, as rules change, it seems decisions also evolve
>     and the technical basis for the original decisions is lost.  20 years
>     ago we would never have sent a man (or woman) into a high rad area
>     without timekeeping.  We had begun to rely upon the ED too much.

 And technology in general.  There is a trend developing in relying on
electronic gadgets to replace humans.  This trend leads to human operators
who are more compliant and have a reduced questioning attitude towards their
work and the environment they are in. We shouldn't be surprised our school
system is producing workers who can not add and subtract without a
calculator but I digress...  The point is technology advances are good, but
we need to keep the fundamentals of work in mind and stamp out the tendency
to rely solely on electronic gadgets to determine our actions. Reminds me of
an episode of Star Trek in which a society was taken care of by machines
that started to malfunction and no one knew how to repair them or survive
without them!
  Okay I'll off the soap box now...

    _/  Tony Hedges       _/
   _/  RPT Instructor    _/