Re[4]: Answers to Electronic Dosimetry Operability Check

     You have replied:
     >And technology in general.  There is a trend developing in relying on
     >electronic gadgets to replace humans.  This trend leads to human
     >operators who are more compliant and have a reduced questioning
     >attitude towards their work and the environment they are in.  (Tony
     Hedges)

     >We are also sensitive to workers who wear the devices in high noise
     >areas and have a number of tygon tube ear devices that can be run
     >from the speaker tube to the wearer's ear.  (Tony Hedges)

     1. For "loud areas" we have adapters for our DMC100s that connect to
     an ear jack or flashing light.  We have not had to use them much, but,
     they are available for issue by the HP techs.

     2. Some workers with partial hearing impairment are affected at the
     alarm frequency of the EDs.  To address this we have done qualitative
     hearing tests for workers using a jury-rigged ED that has a push
     button to activate the audible alarm.  We simple ask, if they can hear
     the alarm.  If not, then make special arrangements with HP.  No
     significant problems with this approach thus far.  (Eric Darois)

     Not to sound pessimistic or to put a damper on the world of electronic
     gadgetry, but think about what we are saying.  My RWP's will require
     the worker to have his TLD and electronic dosimeter for entry into the
     Radiological Posted Area.  In order to prepare myself for future
     litigation, should it come about, I should also direct the worker to
     obtain and wear the extra pieces of hardware necessary for access to a
     high noise / high radiation area.  (Who determines the "high noise"
     restrictions?)

     Should I also be posting the entrances to these areas as "high noise"
     requiring the wearing of the ear piece?  And if I do, does the ear
     piece meet the OSHA requirements for hearing protection?

     What about the flashing red LED attaching to the rim of your glasses?
     Would that meet the requirements of our license?  How do I ensure the
     worker has obtained it prior to work in the area?

     Then what do I do for work that is in a high radiation area that may
     change the "sound" conditions of the area?  (grinding or welding ...)
     In the past I have always concerned myself with the changing
     radiological conditions.  But I am bantering needlessly.

     There is no answer.  As we continue to cutback on expenses and the
     industry becomes leaner and meaner, we will rely more and more on the
     "improvements" being made to help us do our jobs better.  That means
     electronic, alarming, digital dosimetry and fewer rad techs to do the
     basic rad work.  We need to get the manufacturers to work with us in
     developing an ED that will meet the needs of the future.  The future
     means no manpower available to do the time keeping, perhaps not even
     establishing working dose rates (heaven forbid).  What kind of forum
     is needed to begin such a work?

     THE QUESTION GOES OUT.  WHAT KIND OF ELECTRONIC DOSIMETER DO WE WANT
     TO SEE IN THE FUTURE?  Maybe one of the leading manufacturers will be
     reading this.

     I apologize for such a long message.  Mid shift tends to result in a
     wandering mind.

     Paul Knoll
     LaSalle Station
     LASPK@ccmail.ceco.com