Re: Q: dose from airport x-ray?

Ron L. Kathren wrote:
 The following statement
> taken from a recent RADSAFE message is an example of a communication which
> vitually every HP should understand, but is scientifically incorrect.
> Later, such scientifically improper statements may come home to haunt us.
>
> >  The usual dose is between 100 and
> >200 micro R.  Yes, it's that low!

Your point is well taken Ron; let's make that "exposure" - as measured
by an particular ionisation chamber.  To extrapolate to the absorbed
dose to a particular object would require some knowledge of the
dimensions and composition of that object, to say nothing of the
response of the ion chamber to the particular radiation beam and the
geometry of the irradiation.  I stand corrected :>)

--
Michael Williamson
(m.williamson@mailbox.uq.edu.au )

Radiation Protection
Adviser
Occupational Health & Safety Unit
University of Queensland
Brisbane 4072
Australia

ph +61 7 3365 4504
fax +61 7 3365 1577

The opinions expressed in this communication are those of the writer:
unless explicitly stated they should not be taken as representing the
official policies or views of the University of Queensland.