Re: Radon Screening

     We have a similar problem at our site.  We have not found any
     instrument that can differentiate between radon and other
     contamination reliably. Eberline PCM-2 has an algorithm which is
     supposed to differentiate between the two by taking the alpha to beta
     ratio, but it cannot be use at locations where the uranium series is
     present as it may falsely clear someone due to the similarity in the
     alpha beta ratios between radon progeny and the uranium series. The
     instrument that has worked well for us is the SAIC AP-2.  This is a
     hand held alpha spectrometer. With properly defined regions of
     interest we can tell if the contamination is the result of radon
     progeny or U contamination. The instrument is quite rugged but does
     not work well in wet environments as it uses a Canberra PIPs detector.

     Typically after the worker alarms a contamination monitor or frisker.
     The alarmed area is checked with the AP-2 operating in the count mode.

     As a side note I am still interested in knowing if Task OP 032-5,
     "Test and Calibration of Radiation Protection Instrumentation has been
     issued as a REG Guide and if so what is its number.

     Thanks

     riasp_medora@fernald.gov