Re: Radon Screening

I am working in a nuclear power and have the same problem, recently we
recieved a hand held frisker from Bicron for test. The frisker has dual
probe that is able to detect Gamma/beta and Alpha at trhe same time. So far
we are happy with the system, I will notify you the next two weeks of the
result.

You can contact Richard Oxford at Bicron 216-564-2251 for more info

At 12:26 PM 10/1/96 -0500, you wrote:
>     We have a similar problem at our site.  We have not found any
>     instrument that can differentiate between radon and other
>     contamination reliably. Eberline PCM-2 has an algorithm which is
>     supposed to differentiate between the two by taking the alpha to beta
>     ratio, but it cannot be use at locations where the uranium series is
>     present as it may falsely clear someone due to the similarity in the
>     alpha beta ratios between radon progeny and the uranium series. The
>     instrument that has worked well for us is the SAIC AP-2.  This is a
>     hand held alpha spectrometer. With properly defined regions of
>     interest we can tell if the contamination is the result of radon
>     progeny or U contamination. The instrument is quite rugged but does
>     not work well in wet environments as it uses a Canberra PIPs detector.
>
>     Typically after the worker alarms a contamination monitor or frisker.
>     The alarmed area is checked with the AP-2 operating in the count mode.
>

>     As a side note I am still interested in knowing if Task OP 032-5,
>     "Test and Calibration of Radiation Protection Instrumentation has been
>     issued as a REG Guide and if so what is its number.
>
>     Thanks
>
>     riasp_medora@fernald.gov

Mr. Rahim Ghanooni
Sr. Health Physicist
Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM)
319-851-7133 Tel
319-851-7626 Fax
rahim@inav.net

Use at your own risk.***