Re: Isotope Generator/HTO

BaCl2 is relatively insoluble, so my bet is on Paul's EDTA solution
in an alkaline buffer.  EDTA chelates alkaline earth elements pretty
well.

A funny story wrt. the different physical properties of the hydrogen
isotopes.  An old professor here told me that many years ago he
got some D2O on loan from the government (I guess you couldn't
buy it in those days) for some research he was doing.  It came
sealed in a glass ampoule.

He was teaching a freshman chemistry class at the time and decided
to demonstrate that D2O freezes at a warmer temperature to his class.
In front of the class he place an ampoule of H2O and the D2O amp.
in an ice bath.  The ice bath should freeze the D2O and not the H2O.

To his chagrin the D2O did not freeze.  It was so pure that it super
cooled.  The prof decided to try to shock the amp to crystalize
the D2O.  He banged the amp on the table, shattering the amp. and
spilling his precious D2O.

---
Wrt. the electrolytic decomp of HOT, if this is done without stirring the
slower diffusion rate of HOT vs. H2O would account for the separation.

Dale Boyce
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu