Isotope Generator/HTO

Regarding the Cs-Ba generator:

The Nucleus no longer exists as such. Your best bet to obtain info
regarding the generators is to call Oxford, the company that swallowed
up the Nucleus and Tennelec.  Oxford's number is (423) 483 8405.

It is my understanding that the Nucleus sold two different versions of the
Cs-Ba generator.  The first was actually manufactured by NEN. Some
sort of problem arose - I believe with the availability of the resin NEN was
using -  and the Nucleus had to begin manufacturing their own. A
different resin was then used.  One radsafe response has referred to
the use of an HCl solution. The ones we have here employ a 0.15 M
EDTA solution at pH 9.

Regarding the HTO issue. I've an old (naturally) AEC publication "Sources
of tritium and its behaviour ... by D.G. Jacobs, I assume its Don Jacobs,
published in 1968. TID 24635. that has a discussion of this issue.  The
following is my simplistic understanding of what I read and what I can
dedge up from memory.

Because of differences between the partial pressures of H20 and HTO,
boiling will concentrate the HTO. But at best, the concentration might
increase by say 3 % or so. Vacuum distillation at 100mm Hg is more
effective.  At standard pressures, the difference in boiling points is 1-2
degrees C.  As I understand it, the HTO molecule, being more massive,
requires more energy to vaporize.

As Franz mentioned, electrolysis will do it too. Its simple and substantially
more effective. After electrolysis, the HTO is left concentrated in the cell.
My guess is that the TO bonds are stronger than the HO bonds (bond
strength is affected by nuclear mass somehow).

Other methods mentioned are thermal diffusion, gas chromatography,
gaseus diffusion and chemical exchange reactions.

If you're interested, I can send a copy of the pertinent sections  of the
report. Best wishes

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
ORISE