Re: accuracy in language (was airport x-rays)

Mike (to whom I give thanks for the kind words) is right on regarding the
(mis)use of the words 'radioactivity' and 'radiation' by the media.  In
addition to we as health physicists using these words correctly, especially
when communicating with the media, perhaps we could work through the
journalism professional society and get the proper usage and definitions
included in such things as the New York Times style guide.  It may be
productive to ask the HPS Public Information Committee to take on this task.
I plan to explore same myself and will report back later to RADSAFE subscribers.

Reflecting back, I recall a news article once quoting a health physicist as
indicating a dose in 'deep rem'.  What the HP had actually done was specify
a contamination value in units of 'd per m'.  I guess we need to enunciatte
clearly, too!

Ron Kathren