Re: CO-2 decon

     >Has anyone had experience using CO-2 pellet decon systems to free
     >release material for disposal or re-use?

     Rich,

     LaSalle Station, ComEd, has used CO2 decon in the past.  We have had a
     measure of success with it, as well as problems (though unrelated to
     the process).

     We have deconned numerous tools, scaffold parts, pump and valve parts,
     etc. that had been stored in sea-vans for several years.  The process
     was controversial with the craft yet it worked well for what we needed
     accomplished.  Leaching was never a problem on materials released.
     HOWEVER, I don't believe we tried to decon soft materials as raw lead.

     Would I buy a unit for the sole use by our station?  No.  I would
     stick with hot water decon and elbow grease.  For all its high tech
     advantages and low DAW volume there were still problems associated
     with it.

     For instance, don't use it at a union station.  They perceive it as a
     threat to their existence.  Make sure you have all your ducks in a row
     regarding the safety of the CO2 and working in the O2 depleted
     atmosphere.  (Dealing with safety was a joy untold.)

     THESE ARE MY OPINIONS AND DO NOT REFLECT THE OPINIONS OF MY EMPLOYER
     OR ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER.

     Paul Knoll
     RWP Coordinator (EX - Contamination Control Coor.)
     815-357-6761  ext. 2885
     LASPK@ccmail.ceco.com