Re: Radiophobia - Who's Responsible

I would like to suggest that the main cause for the public's
radiophobia is the inability of those in the nuclear industry and
government regulatory agencies to have an open dialogue with the
public - a dialogue which accepts the inevitable expense in time and
begins at the very beginning of plans to site nuclear
facilities.

The Department of Energy and its predecessors have effectively
destroyed public trust in energy policy for several generations into
the future because of their policy of hiding behind national
security as a rationale for not including the public in discussions
involving safety analyses.  The resistance of DOE sites like Hanford
to working with state regulatory agencies to achieve compliance with
EPA effluent and hazardous waste requirements in the 1980's is a
prime example of this behaviour which destroys public trust.

A recent case in point in Columbia, SC.  A nuclear laundry which has
been in operation for 25 years in Columbia received a contract from
the Savannah River Site to process SRS laundry about 1.5 years ago.
The site was to be constructed next to the SRS site but because of
public resistance by residents who would share the same sanitary sewere
system, the contractor decided to use their laundry facility in Columbia.
This decision was not shared with the surrounding community which
believe it or not envelopes the facility like a glove.  The state regulatory
agency was aware of this addition to the laundry's operational mission.
So, one morning the residents wake up and find that this facility is processing
laundry from the SRS site.  The facility apparently has adequate
safeguards for contamination and exposure control and control of atmospheric and
liquid effluents and doesn't present a health hazard to the
community.  However, because of this prime example of bad government
- their total disregard for what the surrounding community thought about this
additional activity in their midst, there is a great deal of resistance to the
site's continued operation and a continued public misperception of the risks
associate with operation of the facility.

If I lived in this neighborhood, I would be raising holy
hell too because of the contractor's and the state regulatory
agency's total disregard for my concerns about the quality of life in
my neighborhood.

Much of what I read on this list serve with regard to LNT and radiophobia
reflects an arrogant and condescending attitude toward the public which
only continues to aggravate the distrust that the public already feels
toward the nuclear industry and its regulators.

We've made our own bed and now we have to sleep in it.