Re: LNT and Public Fear

Dear Bob:
	Your conclusions, 1 and 2 are both correct, but the reasons are a
bit different.  As I understand the scientific method in general, it
cannot prove a negative, but can only disprove a null hypothesis.
Because epidemiological findings can only refer to a specific population,
even disproving a null hypothesis cannot be treated as a generalization,
which is what a threshold would imply.  Epidemiology can fail to disprove
a null hypothesis, say that there is no more leukemia among residents near
a radiation source than would be expected on the bais of general
population observations---a "negative"result , or it can disprove
it, a result consistent with leukemia excess. But these results are only
valid for the population and exposure history specified.  From a
substanital number of such studies, a generalization can be hypothesized.
Among epidemiologists, there remain variations in the criteria by which
an association is to be interpreted as causal, and the acceptable levels  of
type I and Type II error.  However, there is widespread agreement that
it is not possible for epidemiological studies to define  thresholds for
carcinogenic agents.
   gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il    John Goldsmith, M.D., M.P.H.
                          Professor of Epidemiology