Re: LNT and Public Fear

Dear John-

If I understand the thrust of your comments, the position is 1)that the
tools of epidemiology cannot be applied to prove a negative finding or
absence of phenomenon; and/or 2)epidemology cannot confirm that
_absolutely_no_ occurence will be manifested below a threshold. I believe
that the only claim to be made is that of certainty at a given level of
confidence, a limitation which also applies to experimental findings. I
would think that an epidemiological result can be obtained for lack of
occurence below a threshold as well as it can for positive observations at a
higher level, subject to the same complications of population variability.
Please clarify or indicate if you are refering to practical limitations of
statistics at baseline levels.

Regards,

Bob Hearn