Re: LNT and Public Fear

Dear Mark:
     While I agree with your conclusion and much of your logic, I must,
as an epidemiologist, deny that epidemiological observations are the
sources of thresholds for hazardous chemicals or carcinogens.  It is
experimental work that allows, under the circumstances of the experiment,
the statement that a threshold has been established.  Population variability
in responsiveness is the major logical reason for epidemiology being
unable to establish a threshold.  Epidemiologic observations often can
affirm that in a comparable population to the one studied, effects will occur
at a given level of exposure, but it can never show that no unfavorable
effects will occur below a given exposure level. (Which is what I
understand a threshold to mean).  Finally, epidemiology can, under some
circumstances, estimate the dose or exposure which would be associated
with a lifetime increased incidence of a small number of cases, say 2-4
per million.  In my view, at least, thresholds can only be based on
epxperimental exposures, and are valid for sufficiently similar exposures;
it follows that experimental exposure of human populations to radiation
are fraught with ethical problems, hence, thresholds for such exposure
are not feasible.
    gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il   John Goldsmith, M.D., Professor of Epidemilogy,
                              Ben Gurion University of the Negev