Re: fruit tree

The following question from Ron Kathren relates to the fruit tree at Los
Alamos that contained detectable but not hazardous amounts of Pu.
>The bigger question is:  How did the plutonium get there, and is the problem
>of environmental contamination which this seems to be related to bigger than
>just the fruit of one tree?

This was an apricot tree on the site of the original (1943) technical area;
most people believe that we are more careful now than in 1943-5.

BTW, on Saturday I was in Santa Fe talking to some friendly students of
alternative medicine. They were concerned about the recent wildfire which
burned to within a few miles of LANL, and asked if the smoke from that fire
was radioactive. Fortunately they seemed inclined to believe me when I told
them it was not. (I decided not to mention C-14.) Similarly, I hope Ron
will believe me when I say that environmental contamination is not out of
control at Los Alamos.

I am sure you know that the usual disclaimers apply.

"Shlala gashle" (Zulu greeting, meaning "Stay safe")
mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)