Age dependent dose factors for external rad.

     To be honest I hadn't given age dependence for external any thought
     until the question.  But I will attempt a response:

     The reason age dependent factors are needed for intakes of
     radioactivity is because of the variations that occur in biokinetics
     from birth to adulthood.  A becquerel of radioactivity deposited in an
     infant liver can mean something very different from an adult liver (or
     any other organ, for that matter). Because dose coefficients are
     expressed per unit intake, that difference carries through to the
     intake.

     While the biokinetics (i.e., distribution, retention time) varies with
     the age, the tissue weighting factor does not.  Or rather, I should
     state that to my understanding there is no variation in the tissue
     weighting factor with age at present.  Thus the age dependency for
     intakes draws its basis from the biokinetics.

     In external radiation exposures, the biokinetics is not an issue.
     Since dose is expressed as energy deposited per tissue mass, the dose
     is age indepedent.  (Now we'll see if I use my terms right - but I'm
     sure someone will correct me if I don't:)  In a beam the fluence is
     constant and a target tissue will receive a dose based on the total
     energy absorbed in the total mass exposed.  If the mass is smaller
     (i.e., a child, or a single tissue) the energy absorbed will also be
     smaller for a given fluence.  However, as long as the tissues are the
     same density and the fluences are the same the absorbed dose will be
     the same.  Thus age dependence is not an issue.

     Now, if the organ and tissue weighting factors were to change with
     age, it would be a whole new ball game.  I suspect the reality is that
     they probably do change a bit, but I'm unaware of any ICRP position or
     discussion on that.

        Gene Carbaugh
        Internal Dosimetry
        Pacific Northwest National Laboratory