Re: ALARA Cost/Benefit

At 13:17 16.10.1996 -0500, you wrote:
>Radsafers:
>
>I am looking for some suggested figures to use in an ALARA cost/benefit
>analysis in terms of $ expended per Rem (or Sievert) saved.  Any
>thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
>A response to me directly or on RADSAFE would be fine.
>
>Thanks.
>

>Bates Estabrooks
>WIPP- Carlsbad, NM
>505-234-8470
>besta@tis.eh.doe.gov

I know of the assumptions and calculations how much a Sievert saved is
worth, but cannot really give you a reference. What I remember is that
Beninson used in a presentation such considerations and made it clear that
of course these assumed costs depend on the circumstances. A Sievert saved
in a developing country has been assigned a much lower value than in a
developed one. You can imagine that some groups do not like this approach.

Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 WIEN