From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: KI Inquiry
Date: Thursday, October 17, 1996 12:40PM

     If general use of KI by the general public could result in a severe
     reaction including death to a small percentage of users, why in
     heaven's name would the federal government recommend it's use at 25
     rem, a dose at which the radiation effects are possibly zero and at
     worst trivial or insignificant?

This EM is response to inquiry on use of potassium iodide (KI) in
radiological
accidents.  The U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) published guidance
on
use of the drug as a prophylactic for the thyroid when projected doses to
the
gland reach 25 rem or more.  Administer 130 mg KI to adults, and to children
1
year or older, daily during exposure.  For maximum effectiveness, administer

immediately before or after exposure begins, but it will have substantial
effect if given up to four hours after an acute exposure.

Note that a small percentage of the population may have an adverse reaction
the drug, e.g. nausea or a metallic taste, of mild and transient nature.
However, an even smaller percentage may have a severe and life-threatening
reaction requiring prompt medical attention.  It is wise to have a physician

involved in your planning and decision to distribute KI.

For a copy of the FDA recommendations, or other info, send me your postal
address or fax number at DLT@FDADR.CDRH.FDA.GOV.  You may also call me in
Maryland at (301) 827-0012.