Re: radioisotopes and pregnancy

Dear Agnes

What type of nuclear medicine procedures are you concerned about - diagnostic or
therapeutic?  Generally speaking, for either sex, there should be no radiation
dose-related reason for delaying conception after diagnostic nuclear medicine
procedures. The effective dose to the majority of patients undergoing nuclear medicine
imaging procedures ranges from 5 to 20 mSv - similar to the dose that might be received
while undergoing a CT scan or lumbar spine x-ray.

The same does not necessarily hold true for radionuclide therapy, depending on the
radionuclide, pharmaceutical and activity administered, and whether the therapy is
delivered to a local site (i.e. P-32 injected into a joint space for a radiation
synovectomy) or systemically (i.e. I-131 to treat Graves disease or thyroid cancer).
It really depends on what is being treated.

Occasionally, a second treatment may be necessary because of inadequate response by the
tissue being treated- usually this is not known until several months have elapsed after
the initial therapy.  We normally counsel female patients undergoing radioiodine therapy
for hyperthyroidism to avoid pregnancy for about 6 months.  The same goes for patients
undergoing I-131 therapy for thyroid cancer or I-131 MIBG therapy for other
malignancies.  A pregnancy certainly will seriously complicate any further course of
treatment for these conditions - be it surgery, hormone therapy, chemotherapy or
radiation (external beam, sealed source brachytherapy or radionuclide therapy).

I hope this is helpful.

Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Officer
Health Sciences Centre